Monday, October 13, 2008

Brazil 2005

Our first trip overseas was to Sao Paulo, Brazil in 2005. Why Brazil? Well, I was always interested in Brazil because some of my families went there from Poland, in the late 1800's. I wondered what it was like there, how they lived and so forth. With the internet and the younger people learning English, it was at least possible to communicate.

Sao Paulo downtown

One day I received an email from a cousin in Brazil and so a link was established. We started emailing. I had so many questions that the invitation was extended to us to come visit them. At first I didn't think it was possible for me to go there. I hadn't traveled much at all. I was a little afraid, what would it be like, how much would it cost, was it safe, etc. As the months passed we found out the cost was not so bad and they would organize a reunion so we could meet the families.


Sao Paulo skyscape

We flew from Toronto to Sao Paulo in early September. We were met at the airport by family members and it all seemed so normal, not strange at all. We felt like we were among family. Sao Paulo was just like any other big city. The shopping centres, the large companies, the hotels, McDonalds Restaurant, Wal-Mart, people going about their lives. We had a very nice hotel, staff spoke English, and were very helpful, making us feel very comfortable. We had an unforgetable stay.

No comments: